Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Bass guitar build Post #1

Wow! I have not posted anything here in over 3 years. I guess its time to change that. Many of you who know me know I like to putz around with stuff. Build decks, do home remodeling stuff, etc. I also play bass in a cover band (when we can all get together) and am working on becoming a somewhat competent bass player. So since I apparently do not have enough hobbies/chores to keep me busy I get involved in artistic projects. I restored a B.C. Rich Mockingbird electric guitar a couple of years ago and really enjoyed doing it. Obligitory pic:
Of course that project led me down the path of obsession. My plan, and the purpose of this new post is to not only build a four string fretless bass, but to document the entire process as I go along. The design of the bass is mine with influences from Ibanez (Soundgear models) and Warmoth (Gecko model). Let us be honest here, nothing can be created without influences any longer. I would sooner be up front and tell you what they are rather than lie and say this creation is totally original.


Here are the design specs I have decided on so far:

Neck: Maple/Bolivian Rosewood 5 piece laminate.

Body: Maple wings (possibly accented with Bolivian Rosewood).

Fretboard: Bolivian Rosewood board. Fretless design with NO visible fret markings (side dots will exist on the actual fret positions for 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, etc per normal) and possible a figured maple inlay (TBD).

Hardware (all hardware at this point of design will be gloss black):
Schaller 463 bass bridge
EMG-PJ Active Bass Pickup Set (eventually adding an on board pre-amp)
Gotoh compact bass tuners

I am not sure how quickly this project will move along but I will do my best to keep this page updated.



My new table saw. I was afraid I would have buyers remorse due to the price but can honestly say I love it and do not regret purchasing it one bit.
Neck lumber
Closeup of lumber. Lighter wood is maple and darker is bolivian rosewood for those of you who are unfamiliar.
Neck laminate glued up and clamped. This part was a little tricky. Glue sets up in about 5 minutes and I really should have purchased larger clamps, not to mention glue squirted out of the joints when I tightened up the clamps. Live and learn.
Close up of clamped neck
Neck laminate "trued up". Took about one quarter of a sixteenth of an inch off of each side to bring it square.
Close up of trued up neck



That's all for now. Will be doing more work tomorrow if I have the time.

1 comment:

Black Wolf said...

I rushed past the pics of the saw to take a peak at the neck, and what's the first thing I noticed? Summit bottle next to the glue, hope you did not mix those up! hehe.

I like the look of the neck so far, the thin strips of the rosewood is nice accent.