Monday, July 30, 2012

Bass guitar build Post #27

Gettin' pretty shiny. 12 coats down, 6 to go. Don't know if I can take this waiting 72 hours between applications. I am not what you would call a patient man...
My stupid camera will not let me turn the flash off to showcase the reflection I am seeing so I tried blocking the flash with my finger. The color sucks on this shot but the reflection is more representative of real life.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bass guitar build Post #26

Decal being prepped.

Decal applied to headstock.

Started into the next 3 coats of clear. After tonight only a minimum of 6 coats to go depending on how thick they spray. I should be buffing it out within the next two weeks so probably won't have an update up for a little while. Very much like sanding it is not a very visible change until it has been finished. After buffing I will be filing the nut, installing hardware, and setting the intonation and this project will be complete.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Bass guitar build Post #25

Paint booth completed. Well I still have to hinge and attach the base but I really didn't feel like going through the effort involved to do that at this point.

Paint booth collapsed.

The collapsed booth is just over 5 inches thick. Much easier to get out of the way when it is not in use.

Let the finishing begin! 3 coats of clear gloss poly applied. I now have to wait 72 hours for the poly to cure before scuffing back and applying the next 3 coats.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Bass guitar build Post #24

Not much to report. Took a week up at Gull Lake with some friends and got some relaxation time. My buddies uncle stopped by for a couple days and had to show us up by catching this 29 inch walleye. We tried to set it free but due to the warm temps we couldn't revive him. He was delicious. We made a beer batter with our homebrewed IPA and fried him up in strips. =)

It has been way too hot to work in the garage lately anyway. It started to cool off a little this week so I started building a collapsible paint booth. I still have a little sanding to do on the bass but it got so humid out it began to swell a little so it is inside right now losing moisture.

This is the start of the frame for the paint booth. I have designed it with hinges so I can fold it up and store it when it is not in use.

Added plastic and taped the seams with tyvek tape. I still have to build the floor and the top before it is ready to be put to use. I am hoping I can finish it up tomorrow night and get the bass ready to start the finish by Sunday.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Bass guitar build Post #23

Starting to route out for my inlay.

Inlay in place and glued in with superglue.

Sanded flush and any gaps have been filled with a mix of superglue and sawdust. Not perfect but I have seen much worse. Overall I am happy with it since it is my first inlay ever.

This is the best I could do for you Sean. The fretboard has been taped off to protect it as well as in preparation for spraying the clear coat.