Sunday, May 13, 2012

Bass guitar build Post #5

Today was a good day for progress. For starters, I affixed my template to the headstock blank and routed out the head shape.

First pass with the router started.

First pass completed.

Second pass with router completed.

Headstock template removed.

Fretboard has been cut to length/width and tapered.

Fretboard mounted to neck blank with two sided tape.

First pass with the router for neck profiling.

Both sides of neck completed on first pass of the router. It looks a little sloppy. My router bit came loose in the collet and ended up cutting a little deeper in spots before I noticed.

Better angle on the neck profiling.


Holy crap! It's starting to look like there is actually a guitar in this block of wood. Next up is to finish up a second pass with the router on the neck, remove any extra material the router cannot reach, permanently install the truss rod, and glue on the fretboard. Work starts again tomorrow so the updates will likely get shorter for a while.

4 comments:

Black Wolf said...

Looking pretty good. I can start to tell what things are. And that's pretty good from a non-guitary person like myself!

Are you saving the wood shavings on the floor? They would make a awesome sandbox!

Jerry said...

I am not saving the shavings at this point. Finding out I have an allergic reaction to maple sawdust doesn't entice me to hang on to any of it. I could set some aside for you though if you wanted. I was thinking it would be a good addition to your "fire starters" for BWCA trips.

Chris said...

Wow, that's looking really good. I know you are chalking it up to human error (both times), but it sounds like you could benefit from a new, better router...

Jerry said...

I think H might kill me if I replace a perfectly good router. =)

The biggest problem I ran into was I was nervous about doing the channel because it is very precise and I think I let that affect how I operated the tool. I have had much more practice now and have not had a repeat of the dumbs.