Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Bass guitar build Post #2

Ok, so I seem to be learning stuff as I go. I have done tons of research however it seems that when you actually do it, it is a bit different than just reading it. Go figure. Todays work included cutting the scarf joint in the neck and gluing on the headstock. The headstock was basically created from the waste I created when doing the scarf cut. I ripped the waste piece down to 1", flipped it over and glued it to the existing neck blank. I need to think things through better as I almost glued the headstock back exactly in the same position I had cut it off from...D'oh indeed. Thankfully I caught that before I fully committed.

This is the jig I "jerry rigged" up to cut the neck angle. My table saw (which is awesome) cannot cut a 13 degree angle with the stock mitre gauge. Even though this wasn't a perfect solution it worked out fine.
Here is the neck and headstock after cutting the scarf.

The next few images are of the headstock being clamped to the neck blank. You may notice in the next few pictures that there are nails in the joint. These are present to prevent the headstock from slipping while it is being glued. The material that the nails go through will be removed when the neck is routed to size.

This is a close up of the joint on the headstock/neck blank. The line will pretty much disappear in the coming weeks as I route the neck into shape.

No comments: