Monday, May 28, 2012

Bass guitar build Post #14

Smoothing out the head and neck looking for areas to tweak.




After laying out the bridge and pickup positions I routed a slot in the lower wing to allow for wiring. It will meet up with the routes for both the neck and bridge pickup positions. I then drilled a hole from the bridge position to where the control cavity will eventually be routed. After completing this work I glued the lower wing to the neck blank using the cutoff from when I rough cut the body for a clamping caul.
I had to true up the edge of the upper wing before attaching it to the neck blank. I removed about 1/32" from the edge with a router and verified a match before gluing it in place. The lower wing was in clamps for over an hour before I removed them to add the upper wing.


The body will sit in clamps for the next 24 hours minimum. When I get home from work tomorrow I will start routing the body to its final shape.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Love that headstock!

Unknown said...

LOVE that fretboard wood. So pretty! (Ok, I know that's kind of a girly thing to say, but damnit it IS pretty wood!) =)