Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My just desserts

So, almost two years ago now I decided to take a chance and get into a "career job". For the most part this has been a really good choice for me. I have learned a lot and I have increased my confidence in my programming skills quite a bit. At the moment I am just plain disgusted. I know that this job will give me the skills and the opportunities to move on to bigger an better things and it is very hard for me to wait until that time is right. I really don't know where I am going with this other than to say that I am really sick and tired of people. Stupid people who's entire existance seems to be to make my life harder. I have to deal with these folks on a daily basis and it is really putting me in a foul mood. My company doesn't seem to realize that everyone has a limit. They are pushing me towards mine very quickly. They continue to load more and more work on me and even working 50 - 60 hour weeks I cannot do more than just tread water. Even when things start going smoothly I end up having to clean up messes created by others. I feel put upon and abused. I feel like I am lying at the bottom of the hill that shit rolls down and it is piling up on me. One of my co-workers who used to be my boss is quite possibly the most annoying person I have ever worked with. Generally he is a nice guy yet he has this ability to take even the most minor issue, escalate it or confuse it with something of more importance and pass it along to me. This happens at least four times a day and I just want to rip my hair out. My all time favorite example is once when working on a project (actually thrown into a project) he kept sending out emails to our VP saying that we had everything we needed to do the work. The truth was all we had was a poorly filled out questionnaire that basically held no value for me other than to use as tinder. My breaking point hit when I recieved an email that he had sent out to several people in our office including my VP saying "We have everything we need. Now we just have to get it." Wow. That is soooo fucking profound. It pretty much summed up to everyone involved that this man actually has not a single clue as to what he is doing. Yet he still remained my boss for at least another month. Now he is in charge of gathering information for me so I can concentrate on programming. I don't think there is a single email that crosses his desk that he does not forward to me asking what I need. This includes emails that I am also included on. *mad laughter commences*

Another issue I have been having lately is that I feel a bit like a prisoner. I miss seeing my friends. I miss being able to go to the bar for dinner and a drink. I miss having any freedom whatsoever. It seems that if I leave my house to do anything other than go to the office it has to be commando mission and must be completed as soon as possible so I can be home in case I am needed for work. On call 24/7. Right now life pretty much sucks. /end rant.

5 comments:

Nik said...

So I think the only solution at this point is to do the following:

A) Plot Jim's horrible, painful death. Oh wait, how about a "Duel to the Pain"... except we tie him up, blind him & make him listen to his patheticness for the rest of his miserable life.

B) After said Duel, find a nice, sunny, secluded sandy beach & collapse for, oh, several years.

FYI... anyone who wants in on said Plan is welcome. Except Stupid People. They suck.

Mike said...

Welcome to the last 14 years of my career with my employer. I fell your pain and feel that bosses should be destroyed with extreme prejudice..particularily those with the letters V and P in their title. The higher up the food chain, the less they know.

I also agree Nik...stoopid people suck. Let me know when you get out for that drink...I'll join you as long as it's a double with a chaser.

Jason said...

This is another reason why I love teaching. My co-workers are just people who work in the same place I do, and I have little to no contact with my supervisors on a regular basis. I have certain things to accomplish, and I'm left alone to accomplish them.

Sure, students can be maddening at times, but since the power in that relationship resides with me it can only cause me irritation--not the kind of soul-killing pressure you're under.

Make sure you provide yourself with a light at the end of this tunnel. Make sure the duration is as short as possible.

Wish I could help.

Black Wolf said...

First off I want to say that I feel a little bad because I am basically the one that put you in that situation.
Second I want to say that I would not change a thing if I had to do it over again ;-)
Third is a little reminder that not ALL places are like that. Yes most are but the biggest problem Insurity has at the moment is that RWOPS is a very new department. It's actually less than 3 years old. When I started there there was no RWOPS, that came later. Insurity is also on that mission to make a crap load of money with a small percentage of some other thing and have a good bottom something else. They will soon learn that you can not make the goals they want with the business model they currently are running.

Hang in there man, there is a light at the end of that tunnel and I don't think it's a train. But hey, if it is a train your misery will be ended all the same!

Jim said...

I hope that "Jim" isn't me. But if it is, I'd prefer death to pain.

Wish things were brighter, man. I hated working at MarketingBridge with a passion after a while, so I know your pain.

I'm pretty much in Jason's boat: I have some deadlines for my research, but beyond a once-a-week, ~30 minute meeting, I never see my boss. I'm just expected to figure everything out on my own. Welcome to grad school.