Friday, September 21, 2007

Dammit!!!!!

I just found out that Robert Jordan has left our ranks. I know he has been ill for quite some time but I was hoping he would finish out his epic series "The Wheel of Time" before he ran out of time. This is the series that really hooked me on fantasy novels. At least the first five or so books. I stopped reading them around book nine because I just couldn't take waiting for two years between publications to find out what was happening only to blow throught the newest book and have to wait again. This series holds a lot of memories for me. I introduced Jim to these books and when he finished the first three books and realized it was not a trilogy he spent years biding his time to get back at me for getting him into it. He finally got me back by loaning me George R.R. Martins "A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE". Anyway, I hope he is at peace now and with any luck he will run into Kurt Vonnegut and they can discuss the benefits of writing short concise stories. They better not farm off the remainder of his work to some half-wit relative to finish. . . that would just be an insult.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Bummer about Jordan. I really enjoyed his Conan novels and the first half of the WoT series. But, just when it was getting good it started to wander around seemingly without direction.

Gotta say, though, nothing beats Cook's "The Black Company" series. That and Zelazny's Amber series are the only books I've really felt compelled to reread.