Sunday, June 24, 2012

Bass guitar build Post #21

Starting the body carve.




The tool I am using to do this carve is called a cabinet scraper. This specific type I have heard referred to as a french scraper or a swan neck scraper. Awesome tool. I am still struggling a little bit with sharpening it but when its sharp it is a joy to use.



Body carve completed. There are some very subtle cutaways on the inner horns that are hard to see in this photo. Normally on a guitar they are to aid in accessing the upper frets. I added them mainly for an artistic sense as I have no issues reaching the 24th fret or even beyond.


Time to sand. I discovered early on in this project that I have an allergic reaction to maple. It really screws up your lungs as well. I inhaled some sawdust early on and felt like crap for about 3 days. Not only do your sinuses hurt but it leaves you with a horrible taste in your mouth as well. H snapped this shot of me with my sexy respirator on while sanding to 220 grit.
Body sanded to 220 grit. Next step is to sand to 600 grit and then it will be ready for finishing.

No comments: