Saturday, December 2, 2006

Can I please just sleep?

I am awake again. It seems to be a never ending cycle. No matter if I go to bed early or not I can't seem to get a full nights rest. I went to sleep last night at 1:00 which is early for me on a Friday night. I had my holiday party for Insurity so I did not have to work at the bar. I have been up 4 times since I tried to go to sleep. For some reason my dog Bandit seems to think that I really am the only person around after the lights go off. I managed to sleep for about 30 minutes before she arrived the first time. I awoke to a dog standing on my head. This would not be so bad if she were a little thing, but she weighs in at about 25 - 30 lbs. She also has really bony legs. . . Of course I cannot fault her for waking me, she had to pee. Heather had managed to fall asleep on the couch so she was obviously not going to be paying attention. The second time she showed up she stood at the side of the bed and layed her paws out in front of her and scratched at my pillow. It was not her intent but she also managed to scratch my nose. This time she was afraid. Heather's cell phone was not charged and I could hear it chirping from the kitchen (my dog is a pussy). After plugging in the cell phone I crawled back in bed and had to hold Bandit until she calmed down. I am really not getting much sleep at this point. At 7:30 this morning she has come back. *Groan* Now we have to go out again. It is bitterly cold outside as the wind is whipping around my house from the open field across the road. We go outside and she has to smell EVERYTHING!!! On a good day it takes her 10 minutes to find a location worthy of depositing her urine. On cold days we can double or even possibly triple that time frame. I finally get back to bed and warm up over the course of 30 minutes or so. Finally, I can get some uninterrupted sleep. 9:30. . . She is back. . . can't this damn dog consolidate. Now we have to poop. This is the big one. The spot we find to deposit our feces must be perfect. There can be no compromise. We will have an in depth survey of every inch of my half acre lot just to find that Shangrila of pooping places. This gets really old really fast when your ears are frozen solid. It must be time to break out my hunting gear for prolonged exposure. Once again I manage to get back inside and find that now I am fully awake. I have to work in 7 hours. I will be tired well before then. As I type this I am contemplating going back to bed. And Bandit is sitting by my side with her head on my leg. A sure sign she wants to go out.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Dude..that is why I have cats. They pee and poop on their schedule which does not infringe upon my time. My kids are the problem..every day is changin diapers and makin bottles..bless their little freakin hearts.

Jason said...

I sleep like the dead. I drag ass all day and then at the end of it I get in bed and succumb to a coma. Then I rise from the crypt the next morning to do it all again.